[Samba] samba shares does not exist or permission denied when connecting

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 10:18:24 UTC 2015

On 24/08/15 10:49, Sundeep Singh Nanuwa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any issues using spaces in directories paths?
>
> On 21/08/15 11:06, Sunny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have the following shares listed in smb.conf
>>
>> users cannot access the samba share directly i.e.
>>
>> \\sambaserver\rixilr
>> or
>> \\sambaserver\bridges
>>
>> error messages
>>
>> '/ibe/dusty/RIXILE Share/Bridges' does not exist or permission denied
>> when connecting to [bridges] Error was Permission denied
>> Aug 21 10:09:12 dish sambaserver[27859]: [2015/08/21
>> 10:09:12.964101,  0] smbd/service.c:1092(make_connection_snum)
>>
>> however if the user browses to \\sambaserver\dusty - they're able to
>> access the path to [rixile] and [bridges] within that share -
>> permissions work.
>>

>> [dusty]
>>        path = /ibe/dusty
>>        force create mode = 764
>>        guest ok = no
>>        writable = yes
>>        printable = no
>>        write list = @dusty
>>
>> [rixile]
>>         path = "/ibe/dusty/RIXILE Share/RIXILE"
>>         force create mode = 764
>>         guest ok = no
>>         writable = yes
>>         printable = no
>>         write list = @rixileadmin
>>
>> [bridges]
>>         path = "/ibe/dusty/RIXILE Share/Bridges"
>>         force create mode = 764
>>         guest ok = no
>>         writable = yes
>>         printable = no
>>         write list = @rixileadmin
>>
>> Any advise on what's going wrong?
>>
>> Regards

Well yes, you are storing the share on Unix and the space is treated as
a delimiter.

If I start in my home dir and try and create a directory with a space in
the name:

mkdir test dir

I end up with ./test and ./dir

mkdir "test dir"

however does create ./test dir

I can also do:

mkdir anothertest\ dir

this works as well

But if try to cd into the dir with a space in its name

cd test dir

then run:

pwd

I find I am in:

/home/rowland/test

OK, back to the start:

cd

Lets try again,

cd test\ dir

and now pwd tells me I am in:

/home/rowland/test dir

So you see, whilst windows doesn't mind spaces in dir & file names, Unix
does, you need to escape the spaces.

Rowland