[Samba] Problem with Samba 4.0.4 to 4.1.19 update

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:59:43 UTC 2015

On 13/08/15 14:37, Gabriel Franca wrote:
> Rowland,
>
> The domain functioned normally before upgrading.
>
> the servers are enabled with NTP and the machines should take their time.
>
> What do you think better to do in this situation? again make the
> entire structure from scratch? or can save the samba structure 4
>
> att,
>
> Gabriel Franca
>

>> Em 13/08/2015, à(s) 10:20, Rowland Penny
>> <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com>>
>> escreveu:
>>
>> I am not surprised, you need to sort this problem, did the domain
>> work before the upgrade ?

It all sort of depends on how many clients you have, if you only have a
few, then it will probably be easier to start again, but if you have a
lot, then you need to try and fix it first. You can backup the samba
databases, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery

Problem is, what if the databases are already corrupt ?

I would tend to think that something changed between 4.0.4 and 4.1.19
and that change is now giving you problems. There will have been many
changes between the two versions and it will be a major task to trace
the change (it may in fact turn out to be a change on top of another
change), it is for this reason it is recommended to upgrade often, then
problems can be addressed whilst the changes are still current.

You may be able to get out of your troubles by adding another DC to
replace the upgraded one.

Rowland