[Samba] Problems with administrator account

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:54:04 UTC 2015

On 07/08/15 14:58, Aurélien Blachet wrote:
> I have a mapping beetween administrator and root on my fileserver, i sent you yesterday. My administrator account didn't have uid.
>
> I didnt have mapping or winbindd on my DC. The wiki says it's optional and i have separate my fileserver to my DC.
> So id administrator didn't return anything on DC or on Fileserver.
>
> My probleme is that :
>
> Administrator is a member of "domain admins".
> When i create a share, I remove everybody to "share permission", i give the full access to "domain admin" but "administrator" is the only account of domain admin who can't access to the security tab.
> Give the full access to administrator didn't resolve the problem.

OK, I have done some testing on a member server, I created a share in
smb.conf

[admintest]
     path = /home/admin
     read only = no

I then created the actual directory and then altered the ownership away
from root after I added Domain Admins from windows

rowland at ThinkPad ~ $ ls -la /home/admin
total 12
drwxrwx---+  2 rowland unixgroup1 4096 Aug  6 16:24 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root    root       4096 Aug  6 16:24 ..

Now looking at the file Security tab in windows, I have this:

CREATOR OWNER
CREATOR GROUP
Domain_Admins (EXAMPLE\Domain_Admins)
Domain_Users (EXAMPLE\Domain_Users)
Rowland Penny (EXAMPLE\rowland)
unixgroup1 (EXAMPLE\unixgroup1)

And from Unix:

rowland at ThinkPad ~ $ getfacl /home/admin
# file: home/admin
# owner: rowland
# group: unixgroup1
user::rwx
group::---
group:domain_users:r-x
group:domain_admins:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:domain_users:r-x
default:group:domain_admins:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

Now, as you can see, root & Administrator have no permission to change
anything, but Administrator logged into a windows machine has no problem
adding or deleting users & groups to the Security tab

I have Administrator mapped to root via a usermap file include in smb.conf

!root = EXAMPLE\Administrator Administrator administrator

getent passwd Administrator produces nothing

getent group Domain\ Admins
domain_admins:x:10002:s4admin,rowland,administrator

getent group Domain\ Users
domain_users:x:10000:

So, I can only surmise that you have something incorrectly set, check
your usermap file, is it similar to mine? Does Domain Users have a
gidNumber (winbind will not work without it), do you get similar results
for the getent commands above?

Rowland