[Samba] Join 2012 Server R2 as member to NT domain

James Fromm fromm at omnis.com
Wed Apr 15 10:14:49 MDT 2015

Is it still possible to join a Windows 2012 Server R2 system as a member
to a 'pre-NT5' Samba (3.6.23) domain controller?    The Windows 'Domain
Change' GUI errors immediately after failing the SRV lookup for the AD
server.  Even with the SRV record in place, the GUI fails trying to
connect to the non-existent LDAP port.

Netdom on the command line tries to work if the DC name is supplied on
the /Domain argument.  The logs for Samba show the authentication for
the domain administrator working fine to the Samba controller.  The
command fails.

----
C:\Users\Administrator>netdom JOIN cl40 /Domain:cust.omnis.com\glen
/UserD:cust.omnis.com\root /PasswordD:* /VERBOSE
Type the password associated with the domain user:

Joining domain cust.omnis.com\glen

The computer rename attempt failed with error 50.

The request is not supported.

The command failed to complete successfully.
----

The DNSNameResolutionRequired and DomainCompatibilityMode registry
modifications are in place.

We are trying to stick with an NT domain so we can keep our Windows and
Unix users in the same LDAP backend.

Thanks,
James