[Samba] smbclient not installed with apt-get install samba

Spencer York spence1534 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:58:37 MDT 2015

Hello,

debian jessie.

I'm following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

ran apt-get install samba

# samba -V
Version 4.1.17-Debian
# smbclient -V
bash: smbclient: command not found

Also if I try to perform the net ads join
I get the error
Host is not configured as a member server.
Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the
domain.

I am assuming this is due to the missing smbclient?
Am I missing something here?  If this has already been answered I
apologize in advance.

Don't think this is relevant but here is my smb.conf
[global]
	workgroup = HOME
	realm = HOME.YORKSERV.COM
	netbios name = HONEYPOT

	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
	kerberos method = secrets and keytab
	client ldap sasl wrapping = sign
	#log level = 3 passdb:2 auth:2 winbind:2
	syslog = 1
	syslog only = yes

	idmap config HOME:backend = ad
	idmap config HOME:schema_mode = rfc2307