[Samba] Unable to browse system shares of a newly migrated AD DC

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Fri Apr 3 08:04:16 MDT 2015

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

>>> I'm trying final steps of my long upgrade process, but I've got hit by the
>>> unexpected.
>>> When everything seemingly run fine in the end, I'm unable to browse the local
>>> shares of the DC.
>>> # smbclient -L localhost -U%
>>> Domain=[CCENTER] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.11-Ubuntu]
>>>          Sharename       Type      Comment
>>>          ---------       ----      -------
>>> Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>>> Domain=[CCENTER] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.11-Ubuntu]
>>>          Server               Comment
>>>          ---------            -------
>>>          Workgroup            Master
>>>          ---------            -------
>> Turned out, the /tmp directory was not accessible to the user "nobody" for
>> some mysterious reason. (So that
>>
>> sudo -u '#65534' ls -l /tmp || echo 'Fail!'
>>
>> resulted in "Fail!")
>>
>> Repeating the tests with freshly generated setup turned out successfully.
>> At least, in this specific case.
>>

> I said that you probably had a problem with /tmp 3 days ago (but not in
> those words)

It wasn't an apparent problem. Access mask was fine, no other apps were
harmed. If not for my desperation, I may have just dropped it altogether and
turned to look for different solutions.
But when I tried to recreate the entire setup from scratch, it miraculously
worked as expected.
I still have the original image backup, so if anyone want to investigate, send
me your DSA fingerprint in private, and I'll arrange access to the instance.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...