[Samba] debian wheezy with backports samba domain join FAIL ( BUG! )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Sep 29 08:38:42 MDT 2014

Hai Rowland,

This was a new domain setup, so it can be possible that an old domain works ok.

I even did a manual install and i tested my scripts and same result, totaly 4 installs all failed.
Then 1 install with the sernet script, all ok in one time.

try it with a new domain and the 4.1.11 samba backports.
If you manage to get the second server joined without a problem then im eating my shoes..

My setup was like the sernet scripts setup.
I just changed the packages to the debian backports packages.

I installed the backports with : apt-get install -t wheezy-backports samba samba-vfs-modules attr acl -y

resolv.conf settings
search internal.domain.tld
nameserver ip_of_first_dc

and a correct hosts.
kerberos all checked ok for the firest server.
kerberos checked ok for the second server but this part :

echo "Testing : dns entries"
if [ -z "`host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.internal.domain.tld. | grep 'not found'`" ]; then
    echo "testing of : host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.internal.domain.tld. : ok"
    TEST1=0
else
    echo "testing of : host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.internal.domain.tld. : FAILED"
    TEST1=1
fi
if [ -z "`host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.internal.domain.tld. | grep "not found" `" ]; then
    echo "testing of : host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.internal.domain.tld. : ok"
    TEST2=0
else
    echo "testing of : host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.internal.domain.tld. : FAILED"
    TEST2=1
fi
if [ -z "`host -t A ${SETHOSTNAME}.internal.domain.tld. | grep "not found" `" ]; then
    echo "testing of : host -t A ${SETHOSTNAME}.internal.domain.tld. : ok"
    TEST3=0
else
    echo "testing of : host -t A ${SETHOSTNAME}.internal.domain.tld. : FAILED"
    echo "trying to fix it now: "
    samba-tool dns add ${SETHOSTNAME}.${SETDNSDOMAIN} internal.domain.tld HOSTNAME A ${IPDC2}
fi

all errors.

the last line :     samba-tool dns add ${SETHOSTNAME}.${SETDNSDOMAIN} ${SETDNSDOMAIN} ${SETHOSTNAME} A ${SETIPDC2}
did say i added the dns record, but it wasnt added.
i rechecked all dns entries and there was missing a lot.

But dont put to much time in it. i'll hope this is fixed in 4.1.12, but it isnt yet in backports.

Greetz,

Louis