[Samba] SIGSEGV on CentOS6

Jonathan Knight j.knight at keele.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 03:10:43 MDT 2014

Hi All,

To follow up on the SIGSEGV's we were experiencing under 3.6.9 and 3.6.24

I spent some time with core files and identified the problem as being the
in memory caching feature.  The failure occurs when a machine trust account
is looked up after 2-7 days and the unix->pw pointer is returned with a
very low (non zero) value that cannot be a memory address.  The
tcopy_passwd function tries to de-reference the pointer and gets a SIGSEGV

In order to restore the service I've regressed to 3.5.22 which pre-dates
the in-memory caching feature and we've not seen any issues since then.

As semester starts on Saturday we're likely to stick with the 3.5 version
rather than trying to fix the 3.6 one just so we can run a reliable
service.  However, as I have a collection of core files to explore I am
tempted to poke about and see if I can spot what happened to that pointer
because the values in the core files are strangely similar which hints that
there is a straight forward answer to what happened.

Jon.

--
Jonathan Knight
IT Services