[Samba] Samba3 on multiple networks, how to make it hand out the correct IP?

Bram Matthys syzop at vulnscan.org
Tue Sep 23 11:54:54 MDT 2014

Hi,

My Samba 4.1.x server is connected to two networks, one in the 192.168.*
range (wired) and one in the 10.* range (wifi). The clients on either
network normally cannot reach each other.
I noticed Samba hands out (eg: for dcname.company.net) it's IP's from both
ranges to clients on both sides. So the 192.168.* clients get two A records:
192.168.1.1 & 10.0.0.2.

I noticed that, because of this current behavior, domain logins (well, time
between login & until the user sees a desktop) have an extra delay of more
than 60 seconds because the client tries to connect to the wrong IP.
Eventually it works, but the penalty is huge.

Given that Samba knows which network the client is on I would have expected
it to actually be a little bit smarter with regards to that.

Anyway, I'd like to see this changed so that any clients on 192.168.* only
get the 192.168.1.1 address, and the clients on 10.* only get 10.0.0.2.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Bram.

--
Bram Matthys
Software developer/IT consultant        syzop at vulnscan.org
Website:                                  www.vulnscan.org
PGP key:                       www.vulnscan.org/pubkey.asc
PGP fp: EBCA 8977 FCA6 0AB0 6EDB  04A7 6E67 6D45 7FE1 99A6