[Samba] smbd doesn't start anymore

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:13:16 MDT 2014

On 23/09/14 16:56, Bruno MACADRÉ wrote:
> Rowland, can you pointing me on your man 'cause the man located at
> (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html#SOCKETOPTIONS)
> doesn't mention this warning.
>
> I'll disable my socket options now.
>
> Apparmor is started but don't deny anything related to smbd (or other
> pieces of SAMBA)
>
> Like I said before, my smbd hangs on creating 'messaging pointer' I
> think I've ran out of ressources 'cause I've just rebooted the server
> and all start fine....
>
> I will monitor this server more precisely to see what happens exactly
> (and when it happens). I hope there's no memory leaks
>
> Thanks again for your answers, I'll cross my fingers and keep an eye
> on this server for some days
>
> Best regards,
> Bruno
>
> Le 23/09/2014 17:05, Rowland Penny a écrit :
>> On 23/09/14 15:42, Bruno MACADRÉ wrote:
>>> Thanks for your answer Rowland but when I read again smb.conf man
>>> (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html#SOCKETOPTIONS)
>>> I don't see any line mentionning that socket options mustn't be
>>> used.....
>>
>> You mean that you missed this:
>>
>>        socket options (G)
>>
>>                Warning
>>                Modern server operating systems are tuned for high
>> network performance in the majority of situations; when you set
>> socket options
>>                you are overriding those settings. Linux in particular
>> has an auto-tuning mechanism for buffer sizes that will be disabled
>> if you specify
>>                a socket buffer size. This can potentially cripple
>> your TCP/IP stack.
>>

>>> I'm really sorry to have made some mistakes (i'm just a human ...
>>> me), schema instead of schema_mode is a typo and some options
>>> reverted to default are used for tuning (and not deleted .... sorry
>>> again)
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your answer pointing some of my mistakes that have
>>> nothing to do with my problem.... but my smb.conf is clean now (i
>>> keep socket options for the moment).
>>
>> We are all human, Well I hope we are ;-)  but people seem to post on
>> here without giving enough information, haven't read anything and
>> expect somebody to magically fix their problem. All people like
>> myself can do is guess, point out anything obvious (when we get more
>> info) and then take it from there.
>>
>> Having said all that and I know that you were asked about Selinux,
>> but what about apparmor, is this installed and has it somehow been
>> changed/started ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Bruno

Hi, when you first posted, you said that you were using samba 4.1.11 and
as Ubuntu 14.04 comes with 4.1.6, I take it you compiled it yourself.
Unless you add the required packages, shown here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/OS_Requirements#Debian_.2F_Ubuntu
Plus xsltproc and inkscape, you will not get the manpages built.

The manpage that you refer to, is for version 3 of samba, the manpage I
referred to, is from the samba 4.1.11 packages install from backports on
Debian wheezy that I use.

Rowland