[Samba] replace samba with windows7

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:56:49 MDT 2014

On 20/09/14 20:45, steve wrote:
> On 20/09/14 21:25, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>> There is nothing in windows that will do that. The NAS idea is good
>>> but the problem there is that the web interface folders do not look
>>> the same as on windows and the menu when you right click them is
>>> different. It gets worse. We just downloaded 2008, but we have no 64
>>> bit boxes. Maybe 2003 will fire up on 32 bit.
>>>

>> Hi Steve, wouldn't it just be easier to train one of the users how to to
>> get to share on a samba machine and then get that user to train the
>> others ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> Hi Rowland
> Yes, we gave one of the users the root password. Never _ever_ do this.
That is a definite no-no, it is like giving them a loaded gun and
telling them to never pull the trigger.

What I meant was, train a intelligent user (if you can find one) how to
navigate to the share via its address and then set up permanent link to
it, this way it will always be there via something they can click on.

Rowland