[Samba] time sync for windows workstations

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Sep 3 10:51:11 MDT 2014

Hello Mourik Jan,

Am 03.09.2014 13:13, schrieb mourik jan heupink - merit:
> Thanks, I had not yet read that, but it tells me the same that I read on
> different places:
>
> "Per default, Windows clients in an Active Directory, automatically
> synchronize their time with the DC, owning the „PDC“ role. If you don't
> want to use a different source, configure fallback time server, etc. you
> don't have to take action."
>
> I have three DC's, all synced to NTP (and they all display the same
> result for "date"), pdc role is owned by DC2.
>
> However... the time on the workstations is a minute off. So, even though
> they are supposed to sync automatically, we don't see it happening...
>
> Are we alone with this, does it work in your networks..? (because then
> specifically we seem to have a problem)

There are many things that could affect the timy syncronisation:
- Wrong ACLs (restricts) in your ntp.conf
- GPOs telling the clients to get the time from a different source, than
the one with the PDC role (default).
- 'Windows Time' Service disabled
- etc.

Can you:
- check the above
- post your ntp.conf
- have a look at the 'w32tm' command
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491016.aspx) and see which
source it is querying, when it had last time synced, etc.

Regards,
Marc