[Samba] Effect of setting "support dos attributes = no" in Samba 4.1.11

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:48:31 MDT 2014

I have FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p10  and samba 4.1.11]
configured as an AD member server in a 2008R2 domain.

Browsing directories in samba is slow (30+ second lag between opening a
folder in Windows Explorer and the files inside the folder appearing).

The default smb4.conf contains the following parameters which are not
defaults in the smb4.conf manpage:
    ea support = yes
    store dos attributes = yes

Setting "store dos attributes = no" causes directories to load instantly.
I've only done limited testing as I haven't set up a proper test
environment (I don't want to experiment on servers in production).

The FreeNAS wiki states that the parameter "allows a user who has write
access to a file to modify the permissions, even if not the owner of the
file", which is something I want.

The manpage for smb.conf states "If this parameter is set Samba attempts to
first read DOS attributes from a filesystem extended attribute before
mapping DOS attributes to UNIX permission bits...".

The release errata on the FreeNAS site indicates that "support dos
attributes" has been deprecated in Samba 4. Posts on the FreeNAS forum are
inconsistent regarding the effect of setting this parameter to 'no' and
therefore I am posting the question here.

What effect (if any) does setting "support dos attributes = no" have?
What are the use cases for setting it to "yes"?