[Samba] safe to replace just one ldb file?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:30:52 MDT 2014

On 02/09/14 14:54, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:

> On 9/2/2014 14:27, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> On 9/2/2014 14:15, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>> How did you remove the deleted objects, did you edit the .ldb files in
>>> the sam.ldb.d directory ? If so, then you could have damaged your AD,
>>> you shouldn't edit these directly.
>> With many lines like:
>>   ldbdel -d 0 -H sam.ldb "<GUID=66fd6cd4-a9dc-4d05-ab0c-dc915fce6adb>"
>> --show-recycled --relax
> The script was provided by sernet, so I guess it should be safe...
>
> The question that remains is:
>
> Can I just
> - shutdown samba
> - tdbbackup DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb
> - replace DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb with the smaller .bak file
> - start samba again
>
> or do I need to make a dump/restore for *all* ldb files to keep
> everything in sync?
>
> MJ

OK, now that it is confirmed that you haven't done anything to damage
your AD ;-)

There is one problem that I can see, 'tdbbackup' is for backing up .tdb
files not .ldb files, the name sort of gives it away ;-)

I think that you will need to backup everything, see:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery

Only possible problem is, if sernet-samba is like the debian samba4
packages, the backup script is not installed, if so just down the latest
samba4 tarball, unpack it and extract the script from there.

Rowland