[Samba] DNS Issues when joining a Domain as a DC

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 16 04:12:45 MDT 2014

On 16/10/14 10:35, Thomas Kempf wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday i tried to join a domain as a DC with bind9 as dns-backend
> on Debian Wheezy with samba 4.1.11 from backports. I followed the
> tutorial in the wiki
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC but didn' find
> the instruction completely clear, so perhaps i made a mistake during
> the join.
> It is written there:
> "If you choose BIND as DNS backend, instead of the internal DNS, then
> you, of course, have to finish this before you continue"

As far as I am concerned this is incorrect, I just install the required
packages:

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba attr krb5-config krb5-user ntp
bind9 bind9utils dnsutils winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5
libnss-winbind libsmbclient smbclient

Then stop any samba daemons and bind9, mv smb.conf and then join the
domain as a DC:

samba-tool domain join example.com DC --realm=example.com
--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ -U administrator --password=P4ssw0rd*

This should get the DC joined to the domain, you then start samba:

service samba-ad-dc start

Now configure bind9, once this is configured, you can start bind9, at
this point you should only have to make the server use itself as the
nameserver by altering /etc/resolv.conf and finally add the server to
the reverse zone (if you have created one)

All the dns tests should work as expected.

Rowland