[Samba] Home directory on linux client of Samba4 domain

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Tue Oct 14 14:04:05 MDT 2014

On 10/14/2014 2:07 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 14/10/14 18:40, steve wrote:
>> On 14/10/14 19:19, dnl wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have been trying to allow all domain users to log onto a Ubuntu
>>> client
>>> that is joined to a Samba 4 domain, and have that basic functionality.
>>> However, this does not give each domain user their own home directory,
>>> even when using pam_mkhomedir.so, because the home directory, returned
>>> by getpwnam, is the root directory.
>>>
>>> I am now stuck, so would be grateful for any guidance. I have used the
>>> realm package, rather than PBIS (likewise-open).
>>>
>> Hi
>> Un-join the domain with Likewise, add the unixHomeDirectory attribute
>> to your domain users wherever you want their home directory to reside.
>> If all your users have a folder in a certain pattern, it may be
>> possible to use one configuration for them all. Join the domain with
>> a correctly configured smb.conf. Then there's a choice of how to
>> retrieve the nss information. We can then help you.
>> Needinfo.
>> HTH,
>> Steve
>>
> Hi Steve, the OP ****didn't** use likewiseopen, but I agree with you,
> he needs to set samba up correctly, use the rfc2307 attributes and
> un-join & re-join the domain.
>
> Rowland

Hi Steve and Rowland,

Both of you mentioned to un-join and re-join the domain for just adding
unixHomeDirectory attribute to the user.
Does it mean that changes of attributes on AD server does not sync to
the member server?
Can you explain a bit more about this step "un-join and re-join"?

Thanks
Allen