[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 29 14:39:36 MST 2014

On 29/11/14 21:24, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Yes, [homes] is used with samba 3, you need to use [home] with
>     samba 4 and you would not use the path with [homes], but you would
>     with [home]. You could set the template path in smb.conf, but
>     there is also the macro problem (unless it as been fixed) '%S'
>     will not get replaced.
>

> You suggested I have a look at what Zentyal is doing. Interestingly,
> this is in Zentyal's smb.conf:
>
> [homes]
> comment:  Home Directories
> path= /home/%S

Interesting, I thought that the macro's didn't work, I am fairly sure
that most of them don't, but it seems that '%S' does. However, [homes]
is not supposed to be able to handle the users automatic creation, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_home_share

All I can say is to try it and see how you go on, please tell us if it
does work and I will amend the wiki page.

Rowland