[Samba] Wrong charset on NTFS volumes (ext4 works fine)

Daniel Carrasco Marín d.carrasco at ttu.es
Wed Nov 19 03:31:15 MST 2014

El 19/11/14 a las 11:19, Rowland Penny escribió:
> On 19/11/14 10:11, Daniel Carrasco Marín wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> Yeah. locale. A real pain if your language is not English. Even
>>> worse if you need a combination.
>>> To force the mount, I think these days we need:
>>> locale=
>>> Just one other thing that comes to mind from many moons ago when we
>>> had a wg was with the Spanish keyboard on windows, e.g. pressing the
>>> Ñ without the shift lock was not the same as Alt0241 even though
>>> both appeared on screen as ñ, only the latter was sent to the
>>> printer correctly. We still have a dog-eared piece of paper on the
>>> notices board:
>>> á    ALT0225
>>> é    ALT0233
>>> í    ALT0237
>>> ó    ALT0243
>>> ú    ALT0250
>>> ñ    ALT0241
>>> ü    ALT0252
>>> But don't trust that. I'm sure it's changed several times since
>>> then. Oh, and you couldn't have ñ in a filename or login name over
>>> samba as I remember too.
>>> HTH and do forgive the nostalgia,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Hi again, the problem is near to be fixed.
>>
>> The problem was (of course) charset conf in global.
>>
>> In global i had:
>> dos charset = 850
>> unix charset = ISO8859-1
>>
>> And I've changed for:
>> dos charset = CP850
>> unix charset = UTF-8
>> display charset = UTF-8
>>
>> and now is working fine in Windows and Linux explorers without
>> problem, but i've seen that others shares have charset problems now...
>>
>> Is there any way to set the charset for every share instead global?
>>
>> Greetings!!
>>

> Hi, by setting something in the [global] section, it should affect
> everything, so if you are now have problems with other shares it is
> unlikely to be a samba problem. Could it be that the files in
> question, have been saved with the old charset info and now you have
> corrected the problem, they are being read with the new charset ?
>
> Rowland
Hi,

Yes, now with that options i can fully work with special characters in
that drive without any kind of problem (read, write, create folders,
rename...), but the others shares have underscores instead special
characters... Like a good ext4, i can create folders with special
characters in that shares without problem, but old folders have wrong
characters.

I need to find a solution for all problems, but i think that is not easy.

Greetings!!

Daniel Carrasco Marín

Técnicas Territoriales y Urbanas, S.L.
C/ Zurbano 92, 2º, 28003 Madrid
Tfno.: +34 91 571 93 46 (ext. 148) # Fax: +34 91 571 58 72