[Samba] Tunning samba for better read performance

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 02:28:38 MST 2014

On 19 November 2014 14:51, Daniel Carrasco Marín <d.carrasco at ttu.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Of course CPU speed and Drive speed are bottleneck but the download speed is
> very slow even for a low end PC, maybe you have the same problem i had.
>
> What version of samba do you have? and, do you have any "audit" addon in
> samba conf? (full_audit:...).

Samba version - 3.6.22
I couldn't see any audit addon on my smb.conf

This is my smb.conf
 [global]
        netbios name = %h
        server string = Samba %v on (%h)
        domain master = no
        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        host msdfs = no
        os level = 0
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        load printers = no
        printcap name = /dev/null
        use sendfile = yes
        client signing = no
        server signing = no
        display charset = UTF8
        unix charset = UTF8
        min receivefile size = 128k
        max connections = 50
        max log size = 1000
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
# If using samba 3.6, uncomment below to enable SMB2
        max protocol = SMB2

[media]
        comment = Public share
        path = /media/mydisk
        readonly = no
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

[homes]
        comment = User Home Directories
        browseable = no
        valid users = %S
        writable = yes
        readonly = no

> I got similar problem in a server with samba 3.5.6, upload speed was OK but
> download speed was very slow, and the problem was audit addon. LAN, HDD, and
> CPU usage was near to 5% but download speed was very slow.
>
> Greetings!!
>
> El 19/11/14 a las 10:09, L.P.H. van Belle escribió:
>

>> What mainboard is this? aka a bit more info on the hardware.
>> It is a nas mainboard or something like that.
>>
>> Im getting 115Mb/s read and write  from a windows 7.
>> ( asrock E350 AMD board )
>>
>> 1Gb interface does not mean it can reach the max speed, cpu is also
>> important in this,
>> so for that we need more hardware info.
>>
>> I did a few of these :
>> http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow
>> 1 is the most important.
>> 2 stops auto update, so dont do that.
>> 3) possible, what you want.
>> 4) not really needed.
>> 5) what you want.
>> 6) This can be a point to check, make sure you have the latest NIC
>> drivers.
>>
>> and no changes at samba side for me. ( only the defaults from install )
>>
>> I get these speeds with : ( tested, and what is see in windows )
>> samba 3.6.6 ( Debian samba ) stand server               115MB/s
>> samba 4.1.6 ( Ubuntu samba ) stand server       108MB/s
>> samba 4.1.13 ( Ubuntu sernet samba ) AD DC server       112MB/s
>>

>> Louis

thanks!
--
Jagan.