[Samba] Windows 8.1 client not able to see and connect to samba server

Eike Hinderk Jürrens e.h.juerrens at 52north.org
Tue Nov 18 06:05:32 MST 2014

Hi,
I am using a samba server for file sharing in our companies IPv4 based
LAN. The samba server is running as VM on a ubuntu 14.04 qemu/kvm host
using ubuntu 14.04 as OS.

I am using the lastet version available for samba:
4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.3

My Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 client are able to find the server and
connect to the shares but the Windows 8.1 client of a colleague is not
able to find and connect to the server.

The failing client is able to ping the IP of the samba server but when
connecting to it, I get the following error message:

0x80004005 unspecified error

Searching for this error results in some hits that requires to change
three registry entries under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters]
DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode 1
DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired 0
DWORD RequireSecureNegotiate 0

All three do not solve the problem.

Any ideas where to look next?

Kind regards,
Eike

--
Eike Hinderk Jürrens
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
E-Mail: e.h.juerrens at 52north.org
Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-33
Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11
http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN
General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849