[Samba] MacOSX 10.9.4 with Samba 4.1.11 and permissions weirdness

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 16:16:00 MST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 08:59:40AM +1000, Dan Mons wrote:

> And this is what I was worried about.  We have a massively diverse
> office with many different operating systems brought in from outside
> our business, and Samba plays an integral part to our integration.  I
> need a way for foreign machines not configured by us to obey server
> restrictions and ensure file permissions are sane.
>
> Currently MacOSX clients are being very troubling, choosing whatever
> permissions they like (and quite arbitrarily at times).  I need a
> server-side way to clobber this stupidity.
>
> As mentioned, Samba3 allowed me to do this, with the "force" options.
> As of Samba4, the smb.conf(5) man page states (and I quote):
>
> *************
>        force security mode (S)
>
>            This parameter has been removed for Samba 4.0.0.
>
>            No default
> *************
>
> This is a massive problem for us.
>
> Do I go down the path of "bug report" and/or feature request on
> bugzilla?  Happy to do so if that's the best option.

We did discuss this extensively on the list before
removing it, and also requested user feedback, and
as I recall we had only one use who expressed dissatisfaction
(and removing these options cleaned up the code. A *lot* :-).

When you log the bug can you attach a wireshark trace
of a MacOSX client "misbehaving" to get incorrect
permissions. That will help greatly to discover what
we might be getting wrong.

Thanks !

Jeremy.