[Samba] It is secure to transfer roles and demote DC?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Nov 6 10:04:03 MST 2014

Hello Federico,

Am 06.11.2014 um 17:54 schrieb Federico Alberto Sayd:
> I want transfer FSMO roles from a DC and then demote it, I was reading
> the wiki and there is an advice about a bug [1] with samba-tool that
> prevents that two roles be transferred, when you use "samba-tool fsmo
> transfer".
>
> The DC that I want to demote is also a file server. But if something
> goes wrong I don't want to reinstall the File Server. I can see that the
> bug is still open.

The bug report is still untouched and the problem still exists.

Do you want to drop this DC? Or remove this one and join a new one e. g.
for hardware replacement? In that case, just copy your installation to
the new host and keep the installation/IP/hostname.

If you search the mailing list, there were some guys editing the AD
database, to work around that. But this is without any warranty and not
an official recommendation.

Regards,
Marc