[Samba] Bind Samba4 services on different IPs?

Greg Zartman gzartman at koozali.org
Tue Nov 4 02:08:03 MST 2014

Samba 4 works fine with daemontools.  Been running it for a couple weeks
now.

I'm not sure why samba would care how you are starting it.   The run
scripts are very close to the same between init.d and daemontools except
daemontools runs the app in the foreground.   If daemontools has problems
I'd have to write a custom upstart run script anyway because SME boots with
a custom run level with symlinks to its services management backend.

I had a look at zentyal under the hood and they have basically an ldap
backend interfacing with AD.  SME has a very similar backend and API.  Alot
of the ldap code is already written in sme as well.   It may not be that
bad once we get the basic config sorted out for AD.   Zentyal also does a
bunch of stuff to simulate an exchange server, which we don't do.  That
probably accounts for the Lions share of their long dev time.   Exchange
functions on a *nix is a bit of a holy grail.

Greg