[Samba] Bind Samba4 services on different IPs?

Greg Zartman gzartman at koozali.org
Mon Nov 3 19:43:58 MST 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Greg, I understand your problems, but I feel that you and the other
> members of your team need to have a good look at how Zentyal works. Zentyal
> is for all intents & purposes what the Centos based SME is, but based on
> Debian & samba4. Remember this is opensource and it would be foolish to try
> and re-invent the wheel. I am not saying that you should blatantly steal
> their code, but how it works is a totally different thing.

I've definitely looked at Zentyal.  The work with developing a fully
integrated Samba solution into a distro like SME Server (or Zentyal) isn't
just making a service like Samba work, it's making it work within the API
and mechanisms that make the distro turnkey.  It's quite alot of work.
Zentyal is a good check on what works and doesn't, but it doesn't help me
in terms of quite alot of the other SME Server integration.  For example,
we run all of our services supervised with djb daemontools.  This means all
of the default Samba run scripts get disconneted and we write special run
scripts for Samba under daemontools.   This kind of thing just goes on and
on.

My progress so far:  http://wiki.contribs.org/Samba4_Development

I appreciate all of your good advice and patience.