[Samba] Linking libsmbclient with GPLv2 Code

Kyle Edwards kyleedwardsny at gmail.com
Wed May 21 08:27:50 MDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure who to ask about this, but I have a licensing question.
I'm writing a utility to allow Git to connect to SMB shares, which
uses libsmbclient. I was thinking about using libgit2 in my program:
http://libgit2.github.com/ . This library is licensed as GPLv2 only,
with a linking exception to link to any program without restriction.

My understanding is that, since libsmbclient is licensed under
GPLv3/later, and libgit2 is GPLv2 only, and since GPLv3 and v2 are
incompatible, I can't do this without asking for permission from the
copyright holders. (And yes, I do plan on distributing this program to
others.) So, my question is this: would it be possible for me to
obtain a license to link libsmbclient against libgit2? Obviously all
of my original code will be released under a GPLv3-compatible license
(I was thinking either GPLv3 or BSD/X11/etc.)

Thanks,
Kyle