[Samba] winbind on server have different UIDs on each Member Server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri May 23 08:44:55 MDT 2014

On 23/05/14 15:12, William Antonin wrote:
> thank you for your reactivity.
> it's good, I change my smb.conf I use the ad backend and I put a large
> range and it'ok
> but I can't see the same gecos and shell on server and clients.

I take it you mean that you altered the the smb.conf on the clients and
added uidNumber & gidNumber attributes to your users and groups in AD,
but now when you run 'getent passwd <username>' on the samba4 server,
you get something similar to this:

DOMAIN\testuser:*:10000:10000:Test User:/home/DOMAIN/testuser:/bin/false

and if you run the same command on the client, you get something similar
to this:

testuser:*:10000:10000::/home/DOMAIN/testuser:/bin/bash

OK, first the Server, to change '/bin/false' to '/bin/bash' , add
'template shell = /bin/bash' to smb.conf, you can also change the users
home directory by adding 'template homedir' , for this see 'man smb.conf'

On the client, it is a bit different, you need to add the following
attributes to each user in AD:

loginShell                         Containing the shell to use i.e.
'/bin/bash'
unixHomeDirectory         Containing the path to the users home dir i.e.
'/home/DOMAIN/testuser'
gecos                               Containing the users full Name i.e.
'Test User'

Hope this helps

Rowland