[Samba] samba as an ldap server

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:43:43 MDT 2014

On 05/22/14 13:18, Stefan Kania wrote:

Kerberos aside, my understanding is that Samba 4 LDAP is rfc2307 and
posix compatible?     Wouldn't you be able to to use an LDAP editor and
add the following attributes for each user?

objectClass =  posixUser
uid
uidNumber
gidNumber
gecos
homeDirectory
userPassword

Even if you do use Kerberos for authentication,  wouldn't you  still
need LDAP for group and autofs information.  Kerberos would at least
avoid the password sycn issue.

I am still running Samba 3 with LDAP for Fedora  Linux and Solaris
machines.      Fedora and Solaris both have kerberos client support-
but they  use MIT Kerberos.    Or from the client perspective, is  there
a difference between MIT and Heimdal?