[Samba] Ubuntu client ddns failure

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed May 21 03:21:03 MDT 2014

On 21/05/14 09:59, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>>> Btw - users sometimes think "more is better" and often place both...
> ... wel i didn't "think"..  i did read and as man resolv.conf also says the following.
>
> domain =  Local domain name.
>         Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain.
>         If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the  local  hostname  returned  by
>         gethostname(2); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first '.'.
>         Finally, if the hostname does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed.
>
> search Search list for host-name lookup.
>

> but to make it stranger...
>
> al hostname ( -s -f -d ) are correct, steve checked.
>
> i tested also like steve did, and with dig i get the same responce.
> dig hostname    responce from root dns servers.
> dig hostname.domain.tld responce from root servers.
Hi Louis, yes my laptop works just like that, dig hostname, reply comes
from 'a.root-servers.net.'
dig FQDN, reply comes from my bind9 dns server

> Kerberos: TGS-REQ LUBUNTU-LAPTOP$@HH3.SITE from ipv4:192.168.1.22:58376
> for ldap/hh16.local at HH3.SITE [canonicalize, renewable]
> Kerberos: Searching referral for hh16.local
> Kerberos: Returning a referral to realm LOCAL for server
>
> Is network-manager installed then this applies. ( dpkg -l | grep network-manager )
>
> for network interfaces configured by DHCP it normally isn't necessary to change any settings manually. Normally what happens is that the (remote) DHCP server provides to NetworkManager both an IP address for the local interface and the address of a (remote) DNS nameserver to use. NetworkManager starts an instance of a forwarding nameserver that listens locally at 127.0.1.1. This address, 127.0.1.1, is sent to resolvconf which puts nameserver 127.0.1.1 in /etc/resolv.conf. NetworkManager also gives the (remote) IP address of the DHCP-provided DNS nameserver to the forwarding nameserver. Thus a program running on the local system asks the resolver to translate a host name into an IP address; the resolver queries the local forwarding nameserver at 127.0.1.1; the forwarding nameserver queries the remote nameserver(s) it has been told about, receives an answer and sends it back up the chain.

I never get 127.0.1.1 in /etc/resolv.conf and I have both NetworkManager
& resolvconf installed.

> NetworkManager communicates with the forwarding nameserver process over D-Bus. You can see what NetworkManager told the forwarding nameserver by running the command nmcli dev list iface eth0 | grep ip_from_dns
>
> so compair
> /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
> and
> /etc/resolv.conf
They match on my laptop

> if different, then run
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf or sudo ln -sf ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> and if network-manager is installed the DNSMasq is used, you need to disable dnsmasq also.
> edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> put # in front of ?dns=dnsmasq?
>
> restart network-manager
NetworkManager is setup to use dnsmasq to make Openvpn work
better/easier (or so I believe) even if you do not have Openvpn
installed, if you need to use another dns server, it just gets in the
way, so totally agree with turning it off.

> Hope this helps out.
> I would start by checking networkmanager config.
I already advised Steve to do this.

Rowland