[Samba] Unable to connect to domain after upgrading to Samba 3.6.9

Aaron Johnson aaron at ajserver.com
Mon May 19 20:34:16 MDT 2014

Thanks in advance for your help.

We recently upgraded from Centos 5.X samba 3.5 to Centos 6.X samba
3.6.9.  Shared drives and data are accessible which indicates that user
accounts were also successfully migrated.

However when attempting to connect one of our Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
workstation to our Samba domain controller the connection fails.  I did
have to add a SRV record for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ldoubler.org. 3600 IN
SRV  0 100 389 server.ldoubler.org." to DNS following our first error,
however now the client appears to be attempting to connect to the LDAP
service port 389 on our domain controller, however we are not using an
LDAP backend, as such it is causing this error:

    DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
    record used to locate a domain controller for domain "ldoubler.org":

    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ldoubler.org

    The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    server.ldoubler.org

    However no domain controllers could be contacted.

    Common causes of this error include:

    - Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain
    controllers to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect
    addresses.

    - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the
    network or are not running.

We are using tdbsam, how do we use this backend without ldap?

Here is our smb.conf file for reference:

    # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v '^#'

    [global]
             workgroup = LDOUBLER.ORG
             security = user
             netbios aliases = server
             server string = %h server
             passdb backend = tdbsam
             passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
             passwd chat = *New\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *passwd*\sall\sauthentication\stokens\supdated\ssuccessfully.* .
             username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
             check password script = /usr/sbin/cracklib-check
             unix password sync = yes
             syslog = 0
             log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
             log level = 1
             max log size = 10000000
             add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
             delete user script = /usr/sbin/usrdel -r %u/
             add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
             delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
             add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g
             delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g
             add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -l --home
    /var/lib/nobody --shell /bin/false %u
             logon script = scripts\logon-common.bat
    scripts\logon-%a.bat scripts\logon-%u.bat scripts\logon-%g.bat
             logon path = \\%L\profiles
             logon drive = H:
             logon home = \\%L\%U
             domain logons = Yes
             os level = 35
             preferred master = Yes
             domain master = Yes
             dns proxy = No
             encrypt passwords = yes
             message command = echo %m $(cat %s |tr -d '\000')
     >>/tmp/smbmess; rm %s
             admin users = @admin
             #, root, administrator
             time server = yes

    [homes]
             read only = No
             acl group control = Yes
             create mask = 0600
             force create mode = 0600
             security mask = 0600
             directory mask = 0700
             force directory mode = 0700
             directory security mask = 0700
             hide unreadable = Yes
             veto files = //.*/profile/profile.V2/Maildir/
             browseable = No

    [Office]
             comment = Whole Office shared
             path = /srv/samba/officeshared
             valid users = @users
             force group = users
             read only = No
             create mask = 0770
             force create mode = 0770
             directory mask = 2770
             force directory mode = 2770
             veto files =
             wide links = No

    [ExecutiveSecure]
             comment = Executive Secure Files
             path = /srv/samba/execsecure
             valid users = @executive
             force group = executive
             read only = No
             create mask = 0660
             force create mode = 0660
             force security mode = 0660
             directory mask = 2770
             force directory mode = 2770
             force directory security mode = 2770
             inherit permissions = Yes
             inherit owner = Yes
             browseable = Yes

    [profiles]
             comment = profiles for windows XP logon
             path = /home/%U/profile
             read only = No
             create mask = 0600
             force create mode = 0600
             directory mask = 0700
             force directory mode = 0700
             store dos attributes = Yes
             browseable = No

    [profiles.V2]
             comment = profiles for windows 7 logon
             path = /home/%U/profile.V2
             read only = No
             create mask = 0600
             force create mode = 0600
             directory mask = 0700
             force directory mode = 0700
             store dos attributes = Yes
             browseable = No

    [netlogon]
             comment = NetLogon Share
             path = /srv/samba/samba/netlogon
             guest ok = Yes
             browseable = No

    [accounting]
             comment = Accounting Files
             path = /srv/samba/accounting
             valid users = @accounting @executive aaron
             force group = accounting
             read only = No
             create mask = 0660
             force create mode = 0660
             directory mask = 2770
             force directory mode = 2770
             browseable = Yes

    [campwise]
             comment = Campwise Data files
             path = /srv/samba/campwise
             valid users = @campwise @users
             force group = campwise
             read only = No
             create mask = 0660
             force create mode = 0660
             directory mask = 2770
             force directory mode = 2770
             wide links = No
             browseable = Yes

    [scanning]
             browseable = Yes
             delete readonly = yes
             wide links = no
             writable = yes
             write list = minolta @scanning
             path = /srv/samba/scanning
             force directory mode = 2070
             force group = scanning
             force create mode = 0060
             comment = New Incoming Scans
             valid users = minolta @scanning
             create mode = 0060
             directory mode = 2070

    [sysadmins]
             comment = System Administration Things
             path = /srv/samba/sysadmins
             valid users = @admin
             #valid users checks the UNIX group NOT the Windows group
             force group = admin
             read only = no
             create mask = 0660
             directory mask = 2770