[Samba] idmap config / Is it necessary in my smb.conf file?

lp101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 13:57:26 MDT 2014

     I'm unclear on exactly if I need this in my smb.conf file. I've
provisioned my domain with --use-rfc2307 but did not do any further
mapping of UID and GUID in my smb.conf file. I'm currently running 6
Samba4 DC's and am in the process of adding member servers for file
sharing. Following the wiki for AD Member Server setup I'm asked to
enter idmap config data in my smb.conf file. This is what spawned this
question. Must I go back to my DC's and enter this info prior to setup
of the member server and join? I'm currently reading this link for
additional info.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html
Thanks.

idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
    idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
    idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config SAMDOM:range = 500-40000

-James