[Samba] Newbie difficulties on Samba4/Documentation

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 18 21:00:42 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 17:49 +0000, David Lee wrote:
> Some of the pages on the wiki appear to be out of date, which can be
> confusing. An example random page is
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/7.1_Configuration which talks about
> LDAP - which I think is now not needed for a simple DC.

At the footer of each page is a note, such as this one:
This page was last modified on 25 January 2007, at 13:55.

It was probably quite correct in 2007, and may well still be correct for
a 'classic' domain controller, which we still support.

For running an AD DC, please see
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

I understand your point about all our documentation showing its age.
This is a challenge we have tried to turn over to our user community,
but that still leaves old pages around that don't acknowledge the new
context of the Samba 4.x release series.

Anyone here is most welcome to ask for a wiki account, and help us tidy
things up, starting with
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Special:AncientPages

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett