[Samba] sysvol replication with glusterfs?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 14 18:13:42 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 22:24 +0100, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 14.03.2014 22:02, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> >>
> >> I'm trying ocfs2, seems to work...
> >
> > As I try to say often and clearly:
> >
> > Do not combine a cluster file system with the Samba AD DC.  Cluster file
> > systems require CTDB, and CTDB and the AD DC do not co-exist.
>
> I had added Andrews statement already a while ago to the SysVol
> Replication HowTo:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_Replication#FAQ
>

> @Andrew:
> What is the current state of SysVol replication? Has someone start
> working on that project? Maybe it's something for GSoC? But I think it's
> one of the most missing features - expecially for those who can't use
> rsync because of a Win/*nix mixed environment.

I understand some work is happening on it.  Both it and the witness
protocol (a key part of SMB3 clustering) use RPC pipes (which mean a
different thing to what we normally use that term to mean), and Mathieu
and Metze did some work at the interop lab with Microsoft this year.

It is still a long way off however, and really needs a dedicated
engineer on it before a lot of progress is likely.

Much better might be to work out a supported, automated stop-gap for our
admins, that we can support, or to do the research to determine if we
can perhaps safely use a cluster file system if one node is read write
and other nodes are read only.  Even just a white paper describing what
the minimum behaviours we need for practical admin use would be helpful.
Some folks have spoken of being able to set read only and read-write
nodes in DFS for example.

Andrew Bartlett