[Samba] smbcontrol smbd reload-config or service smbd reload doesn't reload include files

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:06:51 MDT 2014

I'm using 4.1.5, but the reload seems to be very inconsistent. Initially it
looks like the problem was that I had defunct security mask parameters in
include files above the one I was changing which was somehow throwing an
"admin users = " parameter in an include file farther down in the main
smb.conf file. In the log file it said it was reading the section I was
modifying in the include file, but if I updated the "admin users = "
parameter for that share it wouldn't take unless I restarted smbd . After I
got rid of the defunct security mask parameters the reload on the updated
admin users = parameter seems to sort of work. What I mean is that if I add
a group to the admin users parameter and then do a reload (or a few reloads
for good measure) I can then connect because of the add group in admin
users. However, if I comment the parameter out and reload several times I
can still connect to the share even after multiple disconnects and
reconnects. The only thing that seems to "remove" the authentication
information is a full restart of smb, then I can longer connect to the
share as was behavior I was looking for.