[Samba] samba 4 as a pdc and /etc/passwd

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 12 10:18:48 MDT 2014

On 12/03/14 16:07, David Bear wrote:
> I am remembering something wrong related to samba 4 and that there is no
> longer a need to have machine accounts and user accounts exist in
> /etc/passwd ? I want to set up a samba 4 domain controller as a bdc to a
> samba 3 domain. Have the domain data base replicate and then shut down the
> samba 3 pdc and promote the samba 4 to a pdc. It would be nice to ignore
> having to migrate /etc/passwd because I did not set up ldap for the samba 3
> domain.

I think that we are going to need a bit more info here. When you say
'bdc' & 'pdc' are you referring to the 'classic' samba setup, or do you
expect to end up with an AD controller?

If you want to end up with an AD controller, then what you are proposing
will not work, an AD DC will never be a pdc in a NT domain.

I think that you will have to go down the classicupgrade path here, but
without further info, I cannot be sure.

Rowland