[Samba] following wide links on a Mac

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Mar 5 13:44:55 MST 2014

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:30:33AM -0800, avh wrote:
> Please educate me!  First to explain: when we upgraded our Macs to 10.9 we
> started to get errors reading and writing files in matlab.  For reasons we
> don't understand changing "unix extensions" to 'yes' fixed this.  I have
> been contacted by the developers about this and they have requested I send
> in dumps for debugging.
>
> However I would like to get back into production in the interim.  Our users
> need to follow wide links.  So being aware of the security implications we
> defined "allow insecure wide links = yes" so we could still follow wide
> links when "unix extensions = yes".
>
> Now this works great when we mount from a Linux client or PC client.  But we
> cannot follow a wide link from the Mac when "unix extensions = yes".  We get
> errors like "The operation can't be completed because the original itme for
> ... can't be found" or "broken symbolic link".  From doing some reading on
> the web I found people mention the Mac client will try to follow a wide link
> locally if "unix extensions = yes"???

Have you contacted Apple and logged a bug with this ?

> So I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me if there is a way
> for the Mac to follow a wide link if "unix extensions = yes".  Thanks!

I know that Apple test with Samba before release, but I'm
not sure what configurations they test. Raise it with
Apple and if it turns out to be a Samba problem come
back to the list and we'll fix it on our side. Ensuring
Macs work against Samba is a very high priority for us.

Jeremy.