[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 4 18:34:05 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 15:06 -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
> Rowland Penny wrote:
> > > ... snip
> > Hi, your problem is that you tried to provision a member server, it doesn't
> > work, as you have found out. This is why I was querying just why that option
> > is there in 'samba-tool domain provision', it needs to be removed.
> >
> > What you require is to use the smbd, nmbd and winbind daemons from
> > samba4 just like you would with the daemons from samba 3, see here:
> >

> To a first order, there is no logic behind this statement. What the #
> $%^ does the 'process' of creating the .conf file have to do with
> which daemon is running? From comments on thread there is clearly some
> kind of unstated assumption that samba-tool is only for the samba
> daemon, but there is no obvious reason why it should be.

Both statements are entirely reasonable, but at least for now samba-tool
is associated with operations that involve the AD DC, or other rarer
modes of operation that use the 'samba' binary, and is generally not
involved in operation of the standalone or domain member file server.

I do apologise for the confusion caused.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/