[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:38:38 MST 2014

On 03/03/14 20:02, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> [...]
>> into the
>> log files. This instance is not, and will not be associated with any
>> printing process, so there are no printers defined or drivers
>> installed. The
>> core OS is fine with that, but at least samba 4.1 goes berserk and
>> ignores
>> [global]
>> load printers = no
>> printing = bsd
>> printcap name = /dev/null
>> disable spoolss = yes
>>
>> with or without ::
>> [printers]
>> browsable = no
>> printable = no
>>

>> every 13 minutes :::
>> Mar  3 10:44:29 arabian smbd[89010]: [2014/03/03 10:44:29.650775,  0]
>> ../source3/printing/print_cups.c:151(cups_connect)
>> Mar  3 10:44:29 arabian smbd[89010]:   Unable to connect to CUPS server
>> localhost:631 - Connection refused
>> Mar  3 10:44:29 arabian smbd[1323]: [2014/03/03 10:44:29.663580,  0]
>> ../source3/printing/print_cups.c:528(cups_async_callback)
>> Mar  3 10:44:29 arabian smbd[1323]:   failed to retrieve printer list:
>> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> What you have in your [global] section is the same that I have here on
> my Fedora workstation that runs a standalone Samba instance. I don't
> see this in my logfiles. What log level are you using?
>

>> While I think you hit the problem, that brings up another point of
>> frustration which seemed an unnecessary change, the current file is
>> smb4.conf ...  I don't know if that is a FreeBSD port specific issue,
>> but I
>> don't see why that would get changed from the distribution because it
>> would
>> be a lot of work to maintain. The only obvious reason I can see for
>> changing
>> the name of the conf file is that there are fundamental differences
>> in the
>> syntax where the only way to assure the 4.x code base that someone
>> had taken
>> the time to look at that was to change the file name. If that is
>> true, the
>> wiki should be VERY clear about the point and what the syntax changes
>> are.
>> If it is not, the file name change was pointless wherever it occurred.
>
> I don't have a smb4.conf here on my production DCs and test systems
> (all RH 6.5 and Scientific Linux 6.5 self compiled).

>>> I'm not sure what you mean here. What do you think is missing in the
>>> Member Server HowTo that prevents a working setup?
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba/Domain_Member
>>
>> That is the page I started from ...
>>
>> "table ... This is just very a basic example that will make your member
>> server part of your Active Directory."
>> None of that was in the conf file after the samba-tool provisioning
>> step.
>
> Where in this HowTo do you read that you have to run a provision on a

Marc, I cannot point you to an HowTo, but perhaps you, or anybody, can
explain this:

If you run 'samba-tool  domain provision --help', amongst everything
else is this:

   --server-role=ROLE    The server role (domain controller | dc | member
                         server | member | standalone). Default is dc.

Now, I thought that a member server is a computer that belongs to a
domain and is not a domain controller, it does not process account
logons, participate in Active Directory replication, or store domain
security policy information. I also thought that the only thing that you
provisioned was a DC, so why is there this option????, it can only
confuse people who do not know better.

Rowland