[Samba] Acronyms: what is PDC and BDC?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Mar 3 10:21:09 MST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 17:47 +0100, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 03.03.2014 12:55, schrieb L.P.H. van Belle:
> > PDC = Primary Domain Controller
> > BDC = Backup Domain Controller
>
> The AD DC are all the same and replicating their directory content to
> each other (multi-master configuration).
>
> Sometimes here on the list, some people say "PDC", but talking about an
> AD DC.

Hi
So it's interpretation based: PDC on this list may or not mean AD?

> > the First DC had all FSMO roles.

Yes, good. First; primary, hence PDC?

> But of course you can transfer a single up to all roles to other DCs if
> you have more than one.

So the latter then become the PDC? But no. That can't be. AD doesn't
have a PDC.

I think I've got it. It's just a real pita to have to look at the
context each time, especially when you then have to translate and
qualify.

For us, it should be easy since we've only ever had AD DC's, so I'm
gonna go for, 'We have neither PDC nor BDC'. Of course, that's not gonna
help when reading the list.

Cheers and many thanks for the help,
Steve