[Samba] Issues with users and groups they belong to

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 30 04:54:09 MDT 2014

On 27/06/14 23:02, Marcelo Zabani wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having a problem with the replication of the Active Directory from a
> Windows Server 2003 r2 DC to a Samba 4.1.6 (Ubuntu 14.04) DC.
>
> The problem we have is that the *memberOf* attribute is missing on two
> users in the Samba ldap database after adding them to a group on the
> Windows DC. I can't easily add these through a Ldap administration tool and
> can't add them to the group through *samba-tool*. I've even tried removing
> them to be able to add them again to the group*,* but was not able to
> remove them from the group with samba-tool. The funny thing is that looking
> at the group through the Ldap tool shows that the user is in the group
> (only the *memberOf* attribute is missing).

You cannot directly add the 'memberOf' attribute, it can only be created
by the system and is based on the 'member' attribute of the group. The
attributes 'member' and 'memberOf', each have a ' linkID' attribute,
these link them together and when the user is added to the group by the
'member' attribute (which contains the users DN) being added to the
groups DN stanza, the system creates the 'memberOf' attribute in the
users DN stanza.

So, if you added a user to the group on the windows server and it is not
fully replicating to your samba4 server, check that the problem does not
start on the windows server, does the 'memberOf' attribute exist there?
If it does then you would seem to have a replication error, if it
doesn't, then you need to remove the user from the group and try again.

Rowland