[Samba] about samba failover

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 12:02:37 MDT 2014

> On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 08:13 +0200, Davor Vusir wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > DFS is possible, but there are some bugs with it (not sure if it is fixed
>> > yet)
>> > it will work only with administrator users :)
>> >
>> > Thank You.
>> >

>> DFS works. I've got a working setup with Folder Redirection and Offline Folders.
>>
>> I believe steve is asking whether it's possible to manage DFS with the
>> DFS Management MMC.
>
> Hi
> The links we sent show that dfs on Samba does not works as dfs on m$.

It is the same with Windows 7 and RSAT. My guess is that the endpoint
mapper that allows DFS management MMC to connect to the domain
controller and read and write to appropriate attributes in AD isn't
yet implemented in Samba. And later to let the PDC emulator hand out
various information on demand for DFS aware clients.

> Domain based dfs is not possible (At least we can't get it to work) and
> failover does not work if the first server in a share is not available.
> Conclusion: dfs cannot be used as a failover solution with samba servers
> and Linux clients.

I have always thought of the name 'Distributed File System, DFS' as a
umbrella term for hiding, in some sense, or location transparancy for file
server resources. And I don't think there is anything in the term 'DFS' that
states that it has to support failover, file server priority, site awareness
or other specific features implemented by Microsoft, but just location
transparancy. Unless 'DFS' is a product and trademark of Microsoft.

In comparison with Microsofts implementation of DFS, I agree that
Sambas is somewhat rudimental. But it works. And the Windows DFS
client finds the file server resources. I have no experience of the
Linux variant.

It's interesting that you mention failover, because I was thinking,
when I read the documentation, how this is solved. And I came to the
conclusion that automatic failover does not work, neither does file
server priority. Manual intervention is needed.

Never the less, domain based DFS works. Thanks to Garming, if I recall
correctly.

> Please tell us we're wrong;)

No, I guess not.

Regards