[Samba] Join AD fails DNS update

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:02:48 MDT 2014

On 26/06/14 17:19, Lars Hanke wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> >> I'd love this -D verbosity on named syslogs. This would help to figure
>>> out, what samba actually sends. I'll experiment with the '-d' option
>>> tonight.
>
> Unfortunately -d 100 doesn't make named any more verbose. I'm already
> imagining me hooking up a gdb. Didn't do that for at leat 5 years ...
>
>> I don't think the join does much apart from add an A record for the
>> machine:
>
> Yes, but it obviously ties this to conditions, which fail to verify.
> And no-one seems to have an idea, which conditions this would be.
> Unfortunately your syslog does not disclose any details of successful
> prerequisite processing.

Hmm, you don't seem to be getting anywhere, could I suggest that you try
upgrading your wheezy client to samba from backports.
If the problem is still there and if it is proved to be a bug, then you
stand a chance of getting it fixed, you have little or no chance of
getting samba 3.6.6 fixed as the 3.6 series is in security fixes only
mode and will reach EOL when 4.2 comes out , this will probably happen
well before the end of this year.

Rowland