[Samba] dns-nameservers correct setup in multi DC environment

lp101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:55:53 MDT 2014

Hello,

When joining another DC to a domain it's advised in the wiki to

"Make sure, that your /etc/resolv.conf contains at least one
„nameserver“ entry, pointing to a DNS, that can resolve your Samba AD
zone(s)."

Let's assume I have one DC. If I add the following to the second DC to
be joined.

nameserver 10.99.0.1
nameserver 10.99.0.2

Am I correct in assuming that when a client requests a DNS query to
nameserver 10.99.0.2. This DC will attempt to contact 10.99.0.1 to
resolve if it's listed primary? I would like to have each DC resolve
it's own DNS queries using Sambas internal DNS. Do I remove the
nameserver line 10.99.01 after successfully joining or merely switch the
order? Thanks.

--
-James