[Samba] Active Directory 'add machine script' parameter

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 23 04:27:00 MDT 2014

On 23/06/14 11:08, Quentin Gibeaux wrote:
> On 23/06/2014 11:34, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 23/06/14 10:08, Quentin Gibeaux wrote:
>>>
>>> Has it been remove or not ported to samba ad-dc ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Quentin Gibeaux.
>> A quick answer to your questions would be no and yes ;-)
>>
>> No, it hasn't been removed, but it will only work if you set samba4
>> up in 'classic' mode. If you upgrade to an AD domain, you need to use
>> the 'net' command (or similar) to join your Unix machines to the domain.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> It was a good way to trigger something after adding a machine to the
> domain… In fact i was doing some stuff with my dhcp server to add
> leases, and save dns entries of this new machine.
> I think we can do that with 'net', but are there any other trigger
> that can be exploited to automaticaly do something after that samba
> has added a machine ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Quentin Gibeaux.
I think that you need to stop thinking NT4 domain and start thinking AD
domain ;-) they are quite different!

If you are using the built in DNS server then sssd is probably the way
to go for clients updating dns, have a look here:
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.co.uk

Just what else are you likely to what to do after adding a machine account?

Rowland