[Samba] Problem: Reading files which are still written...

Wed Jun 18 07:23:45 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 03:01:25PM +0200, Markus Bartsch wrote:
> Am 17.06.2014 12:54, schrieb steve:
> >On Mon, 2014-06-16 at 20:53 +0200, Markus Bartsch wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I've just upgraded my vdr to Ubuntu 14.04 and now i have Samba 4.
> >>
> >>On my Windows-machine i can no longer watch videos which are still
> >>recording... (with VLC)
> >>
> >>On samba 3 this was no problem, but on samba 4 the playback always
> >>stopps at the point which was the actual filelength wenn i started the
> >>playback.
> >>
> >>I also mounted the video directory to an other linux machine via nfs and
> >>shared it there with samba3. This works like ever...
> >>
> >>i've also downgraded to samba 3 and everything is fine again...
> >>
> >>I have got no idea whats going wrong there...
> >>
> >>markus
> >>
> >That sounds really annoying. When you did the 14.04 upgrade, were there
> >any changes made to smb.conf? Maybe if you could post the current
> >smb.conf that doesn't work we could spot something.
> >Cheers,
> >Steve
> >

> Acctually i did a clean new-installation,
> but i was testing for serveral weeks now,
> and now i did a downgrade and everything works again...
> i dont even exactly know how to describe whats going wrong..
> just timshifting does not work...
>
> my config has no special tings in it..:
> no users , no rights, just a fileserver....
> this config works with 3.6 and samba 4 but only with 3.6 i can read
> unfinished files to the end...

Can you check whether it might be an SMB2 problem? Try "max
protocol = NT1" on the server and reboot your client.

>    socket options=SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY

Why do you limit your network performance with these
settings? TCP_NODELAY is fine but limiting your kernel's
TCP buffers is something that is generally not really
advisable.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de