[Samba] Join to AD does not persist reboot, requires "net ads join"

Michael Rodrigues mrodrigues at education.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 16 12:43:35 MDT 2014

Hi,

I'm using samba 3.6.3 on ubuntu 12.04. I'm using samba and winbind so
that I can authenticate users via ntml_auth.

After configuring my smb.conf I join to the domain:

net ads join -U Administrator

And everything works fine, calls to ntlm_auth work as expected.

However, upon rebooting the server, I can't successfully use ntlm_auth
as "no logon servers are available". I've found that I can fix this by
either rerunning the 'net ads join -U Administrator' command above
(which also requires typing a username and password), or by running 'net
ads testjoin' (which does NOT require me to reauthenticate).

I would like to not have to do this at reboot. I realize I could just
write a simple init script to do this for me, but I wanted to make sure
I wasn't missing some important part of the setup. I have configured
winbind, smbd, and nmbd to start at boot.

There's a bug on Launchpad which I've added comments to, though I think
the bit about using "tdbbackup" ended up being a red herring:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1291951

Thanks,
Michael

--