[Samba] navigating to samba server by servername strangeness

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 13:00:42 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM, James Okken <James.Okken at dialogic.com> wrote:
> [global]
>          hosts allow = ALL
>          workgroup = company.com
>          interfaces = lo bond1
>          security = share
>          guest account = root
>          guest ok = yes

Outside of Marc's good advice (upgrade to a newer version), your
[global] section needs some work.

>          hosts allow = ALL
Probably best to drop this line, as all hosts are allowed by default.
My 'man smb.conf' states that ALL is a keyword to be used with "hosts
deny" but I'm not to sure about its use with "hosts allow".
Regardless, the line is unnecessary if you want to allow all hosts
access.

>          workgroup = company.com
Note that NetBIOS names are not hierarchical like those you find in
DNS, the workgroup name should NOT have a dot, your workgroup might be
"COMPANY", it might be "WORKGROUP" but it surely isn't (or shouldn't
be) "company.com".

>          security = share
Please switch to "security = user", there's most likely no good reason
to use "security = share".

>          guest account = root
This seems reasonably dangerous, if nothing else. The guest account is
generally set to "nobody" or some similar account on your distro. That
with a proper "username map" file and you should be much better off.

See:
http://blog.realcomputerguy.com/2010/12/samba-and-guest-shares-with-security.html

Also on the Windows box try running "net use * /delete /yes" in a
command prompt to remove any connections under the old hostname before
trying to connect via the new hostname.

Chris