[Samba] Few questions about members

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Jun 4 13:05:29 MDT 2014

On 6/4/2014 12:45 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 04/06/14 14:29, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> We are experimenting with two different scenarios here. The one I'm
>> asking about this time is this:
>>
>> We have a samba4 AD set up. It seems to be fine as far as we can
>> tell. We are trying to set up a member, and have followed the wiki
>> page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server.
>>
>> The first question I have is why is the start script we use on the AD
>> not work on the member to start samba? It appears we need to start
>> the 3 individual daemons instead of being able to use the init script
>> listed on the "get a start script" page.
>
> When you run samba 4 as an AD DC, you start the 'samba' daemon, this
> in turn starts the 'smbd' daemon. When it comes to a member server (at
> present), you need to start the 'smbd' & 'nmbd' daemons and optionally
> the 'winbind' deamon, this is why you need different startup scripts .
>
> Before you ask, you cannot run the separate 'nmbd' & 'winbind' daemons
> with the 'samba' daemon, aspects of both are built into the 'samba'
> daemon.
>

>> Second question. We have a Windows XP machine that runs the
>> administration stuff from Microsoft. We do not see the shares we
>> placed on the member.
>>

> You should be able to do this, but the shares need to have the line
> 'browseable = yes'
>
>> Being a real inexperienced Samba user, I'm not sure what to send or
>> even if I'm asking the right questions.
>>

> Just keep asking, but preferably before you do anything ;-)
>
> Rowland
>
>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>
>> steve campbell

I had browseable in the conf (before I asked). Here's my conf file:

[global]

    netbios name = Member1
    workgroup = TS
    security = ADS
    realm = TS.MYSTUFF.COM
    encrypt passwords = yes

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
    idmap config TS:backend = ad
    idmap config TS:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config TS:range = 500-40000

    winbind nss info = rfc2307
    winbind trusted domains only = no
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind enum users  = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

[demoshare]
    path = /opt/testshare
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

When I view the computers in Network Neighborhood (microsoft) I can see
TS. When I double-click it, it doesn't show anything underneath.

steve