[Samba] Samba on Chrome OS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jul 31 13:10:37 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 02:03:45PM -0400, Eli Grey wrote:
> Oh, sorry. I didn't realize the old Samba bug (crbug.com/248427) on
> Chromium is open again (last I checked it was WontFix). That sounds
> like good news! When I searched recently I only noticed
> crbug.com/244050, which made me think that there were no current
> efforts for DLNA or similar things like SMB, but I guess I was
> mistaken.

No, don't think you're mistaken. You might very well
be correct :-). Google is a big company, and I'm not
privvy to the strategic decisions make on what protocols
will or will not get supported.

I just wondered if you knew more than me, as I hadn't
seen a definitive statement of "No we won't support
SMB". No one has ever asked me from the ChromeOS
Team to help make SMB[1|2] work, so you can take
that as a sign if you wish :-).

> Well I guess I don't need to try and start this project anymore. Sorry
> for wasting your time :P. I would be interested in following the
> development of SMB support though. Will crbug.com/248427 be the
> primary resource to follow?

If it's a "WontFix", then it's certainly worthwhile
starting this project, and I'll certainly help. It
won't be as "official" Google blessing however, but
as Open Source/Free Software Samba work. But you know
what, that's good enough for me :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.