[Samba] Samba on Chrome OS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jul 31 11:06:06 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:14:02PM -0400, Eli Grey wrote:
> Chrome OS will soon be adding the chrome.fileSystemProvider[1] API,
> which would enable the development of a Samba Chrome OS app when used
> in conjunction with the chrome.sockets.* API or the networking APIs
> provided by NaCl.
>
> Is anyone on this list interested in porting or integrating Samba with
> Chrome OS? If so, there are two routes we can take: a full JavaScript
> port, or porting an existing C++ or Python implementation directly
> with NaCl, which might be more performant and possibly less work.
>
> [1]: https://developer.chrome.com/apps/fileSystemProvider

Are you talking about a client implementation of SMB1/SMB2
here ? It doesn't seem to make sense to have a Samba server
on ChromeOS (although I'm willing to be persuaded differently :-).

In which case wouldn't just turning on the CIFSFS Linux
kernel client on the ChromeOS kernel make more sense ?

Just trying to understand the usage case here, I'm very
interested in helping get this done...

Jeremy.