[Samba] ctdb do not start nmbd if serving AD

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jul 18 03:44:03 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 09:26 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 18/07/14 07:41, steve wrote:
> > ctdb 2.5.3 dual node file server with 4.1.9 serving AD domain

> OK Steve, on opensuse try this:
>
> Change
>
>      suse)
>          CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smb}
>          CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-nmb}

>      suse)
>          CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smb}
>          #CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-nmb}
>
> This should let the script stop any instances of the nmbd deamon that
> are running, but would then wouldn't start nmbd again.
>
> I think that the script would have to be rewritten for any other OS.
>
> Rowland

Yep. That works. The more I looked at it, the more impossible it became.

I'm not sure if this file is distro specific. Your comment about
rewriting leads us to think it is. e.g. Ubuntu seems to do smbd, nmbd
and winbind all in the same script:
http://burning-midnight.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/quick-notes-samba-3-ctdb-pacemaker-and.html
whereas openSUSE splits winbind off.

In any case, we think it would be pertinent to make a check to see if we
were joining to AD and disable nmbd there and then. If not, nmbd goes
crazy each time smbd is hit. I think this is because the cluster nodes
have the same netbios name.

Anyway, thanks. One step closer to production.
Steve